Wednesday, October 7, 2009

richard wright

So the Turner prize show opened today in London at the Tate Britain. Normally, I wouldn't be too fussed about it, but this year one of the nominees is Richard Wright, who I had the chance to work with on the Carnegie International in Pittsburgh in April/May of 2008. I really enjoyed working with him, and the piece from that show ended up being one of the things that got him selected as a finalist. Anyways, I wouldn't really be posting about this except that his piece in the Turner show, at least from the images I've seen online, looks really amazing. See?



They transferred the design to the wall by poking pinholes in the drawings and then pouncing them with charcoal bags - the same way Renaissance artists would transfer their cartoons to walls/ceilings they were going to fresco. There haven't been any close up shots yet that I could find, so its hard to really tell what is going on - from what I've read it appears to be the critics favorite for the prize, although the odds makers had him last before the show opened.

I had meant to post more images from working on the International a while ago and just never got around to it, so I might as well post these from working on his piece there. Unfortunately, my camera had broken by then, so these were all taken on the iPhone. Fortunately the iPhone camera is better than my old cell phone. Obviously these are during installation, so there aren't any shots of the whole piece. Check em out, if you're so inclined.








Edit: I found one pic from my new camera during deinstall - unfortunately by then there were paintings leaning on the walls in there so I only took a photo of the top of the piece and the ceiling.



I also found these on flickr so there is actually some context: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ci08lifeonmars/2550591991/in/pool-ci08_life_on_mars/

No comments: